In light of the refugee crisis, nearly 80 restaurants and chefs donated recipes to Soup For Syria, a humanitarian cookbook project whose profits will be donated to the UN Refugee Agency UNHCR to provide urgently need food relief for Syrian refugees. One of these restaurants was Borough Market's Arabica Bar & Kitchen, which has continued to show its support by offering a soup, £2 from the sale of which will be going to the Soup For Syria campaign. Made with avocado and cucumber and topped with dollops of labneh, the chilled soup is perfect for summer. See the recipe below.
- 1 cucumber, deseeded
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ bunch spring onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 150g labneh or Greek-style yogurt
- 1 bunch mint
- 5g Urfa chilli flakes
- 1½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- Sea salt, to taste
- 25 - 50ml water
- Purée all ingredients in a blender and pass through a fine mesh strainer.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Garnish with dollops of labneh and mint leaves.