Meet Niall, a chef and soon-to-be-restaurant owner
Growing up on a farm in Ireland, Niall left school, became a butcher and moved to London at the age of 20. A few years later, he began cooking on his days off with a friend at the Admiral Codrington pub in Chelsea, before moving to a full-time role in the prestigious St John Bread & Wine restaurant, famous for its 'nose to tail' eating. Cooking was clearly Niall's true vocation, which saw him working at Michelin-starred restaurant In de Wulf, Belgium, then leading him back to the UK and to London’s Chiltern Firehouse, working under famed chef Nuno Mendes. Niall with will be opening his first restaurant and bar in central London at the start of next year, focusing on high-quality seasonal produce and wood-fired breads.
Niall's signature Diplomatico cocktail is called the Sweet Charred of Mine. It was created by Dan Berger at the Gallery Bar at the Ace Hotel, who was inspired by Niall's love of charring ingredients. The drink contains Cocchi Americano that’s been infused with a charred red pepper which really adds a smoky and rounded flavour to the drink.
Want to become one of Diplomático's Diplomats of a New Era? Find out more here.
- 40ml Diplomático Reserva Rum
- 30ml Cocchi Americano (charred pepper infusion)
- 10ml Kamm & Sons bitters
- 1 charred red pepper and lemon peel, to garnish
- To make the pepper infused Cocchi Americano, char a red pepper with a chef’s blowtorch and leave in the Cocchi Americano for 48 hours.
- Pour all ingredients into a rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish with a charred red pepper and thin slices of lemon peel.