Beetroot and... chocolate? In a cocktail? Yep, you read that right, and bloody delicious it is too – particularly when it's been put together by mixology maestro Rich Woods of Duck & Waffle. He's created a special Easter menu around chocolate which will be available for one week only from Good Friday on 25 March, and another that's based around vegetables, launching on 2 April. If you can't make it down to try them in situ, this recipe will give you the best of both worlds.
For the beetroot and chocolate liqueur
- 55g sliced beetroot
- 35g cacao nibs
- 250ml vodka
- 125g caster sugar
- 100ml water
For the cocktail
- 35ml beetroot and chocolate liqueur
- 90ml champagne
To make the liqueur
- In a pan over a medium-high heat. Add your water and sugar and begin to stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the cacao nibs and beetroot and continue to stir to infuse.
- Once your infusion has turned dark red, remove from the heat source.
- Gently pour in vodka and mix.
- Once cooled, transfer your liqueur to a bowl or container, seal and refrigerate for 4hrs whilst it further infuses.
- To filter, line a funnel or sieve with a coffee filter or tea cloth and place this over a second, clean container or bottle.
- Pour the liquid through your home filter. Collecting the now infused liqueur in the container.
- Seal and reserve until needed.
To make the cocktail
- Pour 35ml of the liqueur into a champagne flute and top with champagne.