The manhattan cocktail isn't the only one named after a New York borough. In fact, there used to be one for each: ones named after Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx and the Staten Island Ferry joined the manhattan as classic cocktails of a bygone era. Nowadays, the manhattan's by far the most enduring – not that that's stopped London gin brand Half Hitch from recreating their version of the bronx. Check the recipe for The Hammer below.
Make Half Hitch gin's modern-day revival of the Bronx cocktail
A classic cocktail, somewhat forgotten, and now reinvented as The Hammer. What more could you ask for?
Preparation time 5 mins
Cooking time 0 mins
- 60ml Half Hitch gin
- 30ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 5ml sweet vermouth (preferably Sacred)
- 5ml dry vermouth (preferably Noilly Prat)
- Splash of maraschino
- Shake well and double strain into a well chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish a long string of fresh orange zest over the top of the cocktail tied into a Round Turn & Two Half Hitches – using a channel knife. Position the knot right over the edge of the drink and serve.