There's still a place for salads in late autumn – whether you want to get in some practice ahead of January or you're after a filling and healthy quick fix with a bit of punch, this chickpea salad is a treat.
For the salad
- 100ml olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp harissa paste
- 3 400g tins of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 300g feta, very thinly sliced, to serve (optional)
For the dressing
- 200g whole milk
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Combine all of the salad ingredients except the chillies and feta in a bowl until they are well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the chickpea salad on to a large, rimmed serving plate and dot all over with the dressing. Finally, scatter over the chilli and feta, if using, and serve straight away.
Rustic: Simple Food and Drink, from Morning to Night is published by Hardie Grant, priced at £20. Photography by Helen Cathcart. For more info: fernandezandwells.com.