Hemsley + Hemsley's recipe for chicken sesame salad
This month, the Hemsley sisters opened their first café in Selfridges. Can't make it down? Try making this healthy-but-tasty chicken sesame salad instead
Preparation time 20 mins
Cooking time 15 mins
For the salad
- 2 tbsp black or white sesame seeds
- 2 cucumbers
- One small head of romaine or cos lettuce, shredded into ribbons
- One small head of pak choi or 150 g Chinese cabbage, shredded into ribbons
- Three spring onions, thinly sliced
- A handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 250g cooked shredded chicken
For the sesame dressing
- Five tbsp sesame oil (not toasted) or extra virgin olive oil
- Two tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Juice of one lime or three tbsp lemon juice
- Two tsp raw runny honey
- One tsp tamari or sea salt
- One finely chopped red chilli, to garnish
- Gently toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan until fragrant. Use a spiraliser or julienne peeler to make the cucumber noodles, or use a regular vegetable peeler to slice the cucumbers lengthways into wide pappardelle-style ribbons. You might want to cut the long, spiralised strands in half to make them easier to eat.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients in a bowl or shaking them together in a jam jar. Then add the lettuce, pak choi, spring onion and coriander to a bowl. Pour over the dressing and mix everything together (hands are best).
- Plate up with some shredded chicken and top with toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.