"Sharbat usually has a tooth-tingling sweetness," writes Mallika Basu in her cookbook Masala. "In this cooler, I have saved your teeth somewhat. You can also try it with tonic water, if you fancy a change."
Make Mallika Basu's muddled mint, rose and lemon cooler
This fresh and fragrant Indian-inspired cooler – also known as Gulab Sharbat – is the perfect antidote for a hot summer's day
Preparation time 5 mins
Cooking time 0 mins
- 2 lemons, halved
- 8-10 mint leaves
- 5-6 tbsp Indian rose syrup
- 300ml soda water or water
- Place the halved lemons in a glass jug or jar with the mint leaves. With the bottom of a thick rolling pin or wooden spoon, press down on the lemons to extract their juice and fragrant oils from the zest.
- Now add the rose syrup and leave this to sit covered in the fridge until you're ready to serve.
- To serve, strain equal quantities into four glasses filled with ice. Top with soda water or water and stir carefully.