Not been to The Ninth yet? We highly recommend you get yourself down there. But if that fails, here's the recipe for chef-patron Jun Tanaka's beetroot tarte tatin.
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 3 cooked beetroots, cut into quarters
- 1 circular puff pastry sheet (12cm diameter)
- 25g unsalted butter
- 10g feta cheese
- 5g toasted pine nuts
- Handful spinach leaves
- 3 tbsp honey
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- Cast-iron blini pan (12cm)
- Place the honey and red wine vinegar in the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the mixture by half and take off the heat once ready.
- Take the blini pan and smear butter in the centre and around the edges, adding 2 tbsp of the reduced honey and red wine vinegar mixture and two sprigs of thyme.
- Lie the beetroot quarters on top of the butter and honey mixture in a fan shape, laying the puff pastry circle over the top.
- Tuck in the edges of the pastry using the back of a spoon and make a small hole in the centre of the pastry using a sharp knife.
- Place in a pre-heated oven for 14 minutes at 180ºC, then remove to cool.
- In a pan, melt the butter over heat, add the spinach and cook until soft.
- To serve, spoon the cooked spinach onto a plate, tip the tarte tatin on to the plate, on top of the cooked spinach. Sprinkle with crumbled feta and toasted pine nuts.
22 Charlotte St, W1T 2NB; theninthlondon.com