Just in case you hadn't noticed the sudden abundance of fluffy toys and overpriced flowers in the shops, a certain day is looming, and it begins with V. If all the romantic claptrap makes your blood boil, head to York & Albany's Bloody Valentine Cabin, where you'll be able to drown your sorrows in a satisfyingly gruesome fashion. Can't make it down? Make this updated negroni at home instead.
- 25ml Aperol
- 25ml Antica Formula
- 25ml Martini Rosso
- 20ml lemon juice
- 1 egg white
For the blood orange jelly garnish (or can be shop-bought orange jelly)
- 300ml orange liqueur
- 100ml water
- 1/2g agar gelatin
- 50g sugar
- To make the jelly, heat up liqueur, water, sugar and agar, whisking all together over heat.
- Bring to boil, whisking throughout. Once boiling take off the heat and sieve out any remaining lumps of agar. Leave in fridge in container to set.
- Once set, put in a food processor and blend. Dip glass into mix. If the blended jelly is too thick, add water slowly whilst blending to thin it.
- Add all ingredients except the blood orange jelly into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake.
- Double strain into chilled martini glass with blood orange jelly set on the rim.
York & Albany's Bloody Valentine Cabin will be running 11-14 February. 127-129 Parkway, NW1 7PS; gordonramsayrestaurants.com/york-and-albany.