You know it's Christmas when you sink your teeth into a really great mince pie, and we've got a recipe for you from The Fabulous Baker Brothers that will definitely hit the spot. Tom and Henry Herbet are supporting the Soil Association's campaign to encourage people to switch to organic this Christmas, and they've shared their family recipe for organic mince pies, which uses an orange-infused short crust pastry and a cream cheese and almond topping.
A recipe for the ultimate mince pies from The Fabulous Baker Brothers
Here's a recipe for possibly the best mince pies you'll eat this Christmas, with orange-infused pastry and a cream cheese and almond topping
Preparation time 15 mins
Cooking time 15 mins
- 330g mincemeat
- 1 quantity sweet short crust organic pastry
- 300g full fat organic cream cheese
- 2 oranges
- 50g dried cranberries
- 50g flaked almonds
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 pieces stem ginger, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
If you're cooking these and then having some the next day, they're best placed back in a hot oven for a few minutes to crisp back up
- Preheat the oven to 220C/450F/Gas 8.
- Take a 12-hole deep muffin tin - if you have an old tin then lightly grease it, however if you're using a non stick tin you don't need to.
- Roll the pastry to 3mm thick then zest one of the oranges over half the pastry. Fold the other half of the pastry over the top then press down lightly.
- Roll the pastry to 3mm thick then stamp out rounds 2cm larger than the holes of the bun tin. Press each disc gently into the bun tin, making sure that it doesn't tear.
- Mix the mincemeat with 25g of the flaked almonds, then add the cranberries, chopped ginger, spices and zest of the second orange, then mix once more until really well combined.
- Place spoonfuls of mincemeat into each pastry disc, filling to about 2/3 full.
- Whisk the cream cheese, 3 tbsp of orange juice and the icing sugar together until smooth and creamy. Taste to check for sweetness, adding more orange juice and sugar if necessary.
- Place a spoonful of the cream cheese mix on top of the mincemeat then scatter over the flaked almonds.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin – best served warm.