- 15–20 cashews
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds (optional)
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 10–15 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 400g grated beetroot (about 4)
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 4–6 tbsp desiccated coconut or 40g freshly grated coconut
- 400ml thick coconut milk
- Soak the cashews in water for an hour (or longer), then drain.
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan on a low heat, then add the cumin and mustard seeds and the fenugreek seeds, if using. Once the mustard seeds have popped, add the green chilli, sesame seeds and curry leaves, if using.
- When the sesame seeds are lightly browned, stir in the grated beetroot and add the ground turmeric, cumin and coriander and salt.
- Leave to cook for 6–8 minutes with the lid on, stirring regularly, then add the cashews, desiccated coconut and coconut milk.
- Cook for another 10 minutes until all the coconut milk is soaked up.
- Pour into serving bowls and enjoy hot.
Saffron Soul by Mira Manek, £20, published by Jacqui Small.