These crunchy bites from Bubbledogs tick all our bar snack boxes: they're spicy, crunchy and salty. Which is why, incidentally, they work so well with champagne. Star sommelier and Bubbledogs owner Sandia Chang recommends a Charles Dufor bistrotage extra brut to cut through the richness of the little morsels, which are called Horny Devils thanks to their jalapeño kick.
You no longer have to go all the way to Bubbledogs' Fitzrovia to enjoy them, too, as the hotdog favourite will be taking to the road thanks to that addition of Johnny, a vintage 1973 Peugeot J7 painted in French's mustard yellow, which will be dishing out 'dogs and bubbles at our favourite festivals this summer.
- 120g flour
- 140g cornmeal
- 50g sugar
- 0.75g baking powder
- 0.75g salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- 228g buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 180g sweetcorn kernels, either fresh or tinned. Stay away from frozen as they contain too much excess water
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- 75g pickled jalapeños, finely diced
- Mix all of the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda).
- Add buttermilk and eggs and mix well.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the sweetcorn, cheddar cheese and jalapeños.
- Fry heaped teaspoons of the batter in pre -eated vegetable oil at 190°C until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper and season with salt.