There's something deeply satisfying about cornbread – it's dense, moist and packed with flavour. Which is why, when teamed with a slick of sweet and smoky chipotle butter, it makes for a breakfast that packs a punch. We love this recipe from coffee roasters Caravan. Make this for a special weekend brunch, or sample at its sites in Exmouth Market, King's Cross's Granary Square, and, from September, at its new roastery café, which will also be in King's Cross.
Make Caravan's cornbread with chipotle butter
With thick slices of hearty cornbread and a generous helping of smoky chipotle butter, this recipe from Caravan is hard to beat
Preparation time 15 mins
Cooking time 45 mins
For the cornbread
- 400ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 60g butter, melted
- 200g corn
- ½ bunch of spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup polenta
- ½ cup bread flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For the chipotle butter
- 250g butter, softened
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon chipotle, minced
- juice of ½ of a lime
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- lime wedges
- spring onions, chopped
- coriander, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- In a medium bowl, mix together the milk, eggs, butter, corn and spring onions.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the polenta, bread flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt.
- Combine the two bowls together and immediately pour into a lined loaf tin and place immediately into the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cook for 4 minutes before turning the bread out of the tin onto a cooling rack.
- Once the loaf is cool, trim off the ends of the cornbread, and slice the remainder of the loaf into 8 equal slices.
- Set aside until the chipotle butter is made. You can also make the chipotle butter ahead of time.
- To make the chipotle butter, mix all the ingredients together.
- Serve while the butter is still soft.
- The chipotle butter can be made ahead of time and stored it in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- To serve, heat a dash of oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Carefully place the slices of cornbread in the pan and fry until the bottom is golden brown.
- Flip the slices and fry again until the bottom is golden brown.
- Repeat this process until all the cornbread slices have been browned.
- Place two slices of browned cornbread on a plate and top with a generous dollop of the chipotle butter.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves, a wedge of lime, and some sliced spring onions.