Indian desserts are known for being unashamedly sweet, and this toasted chocolate sandwich is no exception. Slathered in cream cheese and oozing with sticky chocolate sauce, you can often find these tasty parcels being made to order on the crowded streets of Mumbai, one of India's biggest cities.
This toastie is comfort food at its finest – perfect for when your sweet tooth is crying out for satisfaction. Clear some room before you tuck in though, you're going to need it.
- 9 slices of white bread
- unsalted butter, softened
- 150g cream cheese
- 300g ready-made chocolate sauce
- Preheat a sandwich toaster. Butter both sides of two slices of bread and place one of them in the hot sandwich toaster.
- Spread one third of the cream cheese on that slice. Take a third slice of the bread and spread chocolate sauce on one side.
- Fold it diagonally in half to make a triangle with the chocolate sauce on the inside. Place it on top of the cheese-covered slice in the sandwich toaster. Spread some more chocolate sauce on top and cover with the remaining buttered slice of bread.
- Close the sandwich toaster and toast for 2 minutes or until golden brown all over.
- Remove the toasted sandwich from the machine and repeat the process with the remaining sandwich ingredients to make three sandwiches.
- Drizzle the last of the chocolate sauce on top of each toasted sandwich and serve.
Taken from Chai, Chaat & Chutney by Chetna Makan. Published by Octopus Books (£20); octopusbooks.co.uk.