East London Liquor Company's head bartender Mikey Pendergast took inspiration from historical rum punch to create this winter cocktail, which matches the tart cherry juice and delicate fennel and pear flavours perfectly. ELLC's Demerara Rum is made using molasses produced from 100% Demerara sugar which is grown on the banks of the Demerara River in Guyana. The spirit is micro-distilled in a two-column wooden Coffey still, the world's only surviving wooden column still, which lends the alcohol a deep, woody flavour. It's then aged in former bourbon casks to add spicy vanilla notes.
East London Liquor Company's Post-Colonial punch
Traditional rum punch is brought bang up to date with black cherry, fennel and pear flavours, not to mention the addition of ELLC's incredible Demerara rum
Preparation time 5 mins
Cooking time 0 mins
Fennel liquor infusion
- Take 500ml of pear liquor, add 5 fennel flower heads and a pinch of fennel seed.
- Leave in an airtight container out of the sun for 12 hours.
- 45ml East London Liquor Company rum
- 25ml tart black cherry juice
- 15ml fennel flower and pear liquor
- 20ml orange juice
- Fennel flower or sliced fennel root, to garnish
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing glass filled with ice and stir for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a rocks glass with ice and garnish with a fennel flower or sectioned fennel root, and a chunk of pineapple and cherry.