If the thought of grilled cheese and jalapeno cornbread doesn't leave you salivating, then the thought of maple bacon butter just might do the trick. Owen Sullivan, Head Chef at Maze Grill Park Walk and Maze Grill Royal Hospital Road, has whipped up the recipe for Thanksgiving, but we can tell you now that you'll be craving the tantalising mix of salty and sweet long after the holiday is over. Go on, let yourself indulge.
Maze's recipe for grilled cheese and jalapeno cornbread with maple bacon butter
This recipe for cornbread with maple bacon butter has left us drooling – we won't be able to wait til Thanksgiving to make it and we bet you won't either
Preparation time 15 mins
Cooking time 25 mins
- 175g plain flour
- 50g sugar
- 200g strong cheddar
- 275g cornmeal/polenta
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chopped spring onions, jalapenos and coriander to taste
- 4 eggs
- 115g melted butter
- 625g buttermilk
Maple bacon butter
- 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
- 1 pack butter
- 50ml maple syrup
- To make the bread, combine all of the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the buttermilk and eggs, and stir through. Do not overwork.
- Add the melted butter and transfer into a greaseproof lined baking tray and cook in a preheated oven (180°C) for approximately 25 minutes.
- To make the maple bacon butter, cook the bacon in a pan until crispy, then remove from pan and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Remove pan from the heat and add maple syrup, chop the bacon finely and dice the butter.
- Combine all three ingredients into a bowl and whisk a little. Serve in a small bowl alongside the cornbread.