If the name Maryland makes you think of cookies, we're ashamed of you. But fear not – you can get back into our good books by treating yourself to these gorgeous Maryland crab cakes. A staple in the US state, particularly in Baltimore, they're easier to make than you might think, and damn delicious, too. Check out the recipe from Christopher's below.
- 500g white handpicked best fresh crabmeat
- 1 small egg
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 50g white breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp chopped tarragon
- Dash of Tabasco
- Clarified butter or sunflower oil for cooking
- In a bowl, pick through the crab meat to make sure that all the pieces of small shell have been removed. Combine the remaining ingredients, mix together thoroughly and check the seasoning.
- Divide the crab mix into six and shape into small cakes. Leave to rest in the fridge for an hour or two to firm up.
- Place a little butter or oil into a shallow pan or griddle plate, bring to a moderate heat, place cakes into pan and cook for about 6-7 minutes on each side until they have lovely golden colour.
- Place on a plate and serve with tomato jam, red-pepper mayo and rocket.