Let's face it: what could be better than hot chocolate with a little kick of alcohol? We're very pleased to present this week's frankly delicious drink recipe, which comes courtesy of Mr Lyan, AKA Ryan Chetiyawardana.
A mouthful his name may be, but you should be familiar with it: Chetiyawardana's two London bars, White Lyan and Dandelyan, are both firmly in the World's 50 Best Bars, and deservedly so. He's also recently come out with his first book, Good Things to Drink: by My Lyan and Friends, which is chock-full of recipes that you can recreate at home.
- 1 tsp chartreuse
- 1 tbsp poire william
- 1 tsp unrefined sugar
- 100ml whole milk
- Pinch vanilla salt (You can make this by splitting a vanilla pod and infusing it into sea salt for at least a day)
- 30g good dark chocolate
- Nutmeg or cinnamon to finish
- Pre-warmed mug
Mr Lyan Magic
You can make this very condensed by using cream (as well as milk) with extra chocolate and serving much shorter. You can also layer in extra flavours by warming spices in the milk then straining them off – try anise, basil, chilli and fruits.
- Pour the chartreuse and poire williams into a pre-warmed mug.
- Add the sugar, milk, vanilla salt and chocolate to a pot and heat.
- Whisk constantly but don't allow to boil.
- When gently steaming, pour over the liqueurs in your mug and top with some freshly grated nutmeg or cinnamon.
This recipe is taken from Good Things to Drink: by Mr Lyan and Friends, published by Frances Lincoln, £20. For more information visit: mrlyan.com.