Famed for his light, Japanese-South American fusion dishes, Nobu Matsuhisa is one of the original celebrity chefs: he opened his eponymous restaurant in 1997, it was awarded a Michelin star in the same year, and he's gone on to open an international restaurant and hotel empire. Here, Nobu London's head chef Hideki Maeda shares his recipe for grilled chicken with a spicy lemon garlic sauce.
- Whole chicken
- Cherry tomatoes on the vine
- Wild asparagus, one bunch
- 2 lemons, sliced
For the spicy lemon garlic sauce
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsps grape seed oil
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 50ml lemon juice
To make the lemon sauce
- Combine all the ingredients except oil.
- When the salt is fully dissolved, add the oil a little at a time and mix well.
For the chicken
- First, spatchcock the chicken by removing the back bone and flattening it out (or ask your butcher to do this).
- Next, pat the meat dry with a paper towel.
- Combine your spicy lemon garlic sauce and pour over the chicken, ensuring all sides are covered.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and cover tightly with cling film – allow to marinate in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Next, preheat the grill. Lightly wipe off any excess sauce and then place the chicken on the grill.
- Cook until the surface of the meat has browned, making sure it's cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place the cherry tomatoes, asparagus and lemon on the grill to cook.
- To serve, arrange the meat on the serving dish and squeeze fresh lemon juice and some extra spicy lemon garlic sauce on the top (to taste). Garnish with the grilled cherry tomatoes, lemon and asparagus.